Shri. Baby John (Former State Minister)
Founder of the College
Baby John Memorial Govt. College Chavara is established on 26th August 1981 by the Government of Kerala and is affiliated to the University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. It meets the long cherished dreams of the natives of Chavara and its surrounding regions. The College is managed and maintained by the Department of Collegiate Education of the Government of Kerala and is recognized by the University Grant Commission under sec. 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act, 1956. It aims to uplift the younger generation from their social and educational backwardness who otherwise would have been forced to eke out a living by fishing and the traditional coir industry. Our College has been striving to strengthen the objectives of facilitating higher education for the meritorious and the talented to ensure social justice through higher standards of performance.
The campus with an area of six acres is located at sankaramangalam, on the western banks of the Ashtamudi Lake, eastern coast of the Arabian Sea and on the side of the National Highway 47 having a distance of 14 kms north of Kollam City, completing 39 years of its service in the field of higher education in Kollam district.
The College was established at Chavara following the constant efforts of the former Hon: Minister of Kerala Shri. Baby John. Initially, this institution started functioning in a temporary building owned by Government High School for Girls Chavara with four Pree-Degree course batches with a total strength of 400 students. The construction of the first building for the College was completed and is formally inaugurated by the Hon: Minister Sri. Premachandran on 17th June 2006. The second building was inaugurated then by the Hon: Chief Minister Sri. V.S. Achudananthan.
Now the college with 7 major departments (with 3 PG and 8 UG programmes) stands on an oasis of learning for hundreds of students who come out of the Higher Secondary Schools around Chavara and Karunagapally.